Friday, December 5, 2008

What About This? Part III

I have to be honest. I wrote most of this installment of the styling extravaganza while sitting in Moe's. My best friend's being away on a business trip combined with my need to leave my apartment have led me to spend far too much time there anti-socially typing away on my phone. So from the bottom of my pint of Dos Equis, I bring you Dance-y Friend.

Dance-y friend and I also attended the same college but didn't meet in earnest until my first real, live job at a place where she also happened to be working. We have both moved on from that place (thankfully), and now she is wrapping up her Journalism Masters in Dance Criticism and starting a new job as an Assistant Editor at a magazine. In my mind, a new job always means that it's time for a shopping spree.

She and I are around the same height aka tall and leggy but she is thinner than I and has more curves on the bottom half. She also lacks my aversion to heels.

For those brunches with friends and roommates, casual and comfortable but not schlumpy is key. Especially if going to Vynl, where we ate brunch surrounded by impeccably dressed Barbie dolls in glass cases. I was personally a fan of the Madonna doll, which sat in her case in the Madonna bathroom, where the speakers piped in Madonna hits. Long cardigans look good on lanky girls because it's harder for them to get swallowed up by their clothes. The belt adds definition at the waist, and the color means that she can wear it with everything. In fact, she should totally get two. One in white and one in another color. Such are the perks of shopping at Old Navy.


This shirt's neckline provides a hidden surprise for once she's seated and removes her outerwear. And green is a color that I really like for her. And unlike a lot of the clothes at Anthropologie, this shirt lacks any superfluous buttons or ribbons or lace.


She already has a favorite brand and cut of jeans. And this pair lets her do her part for the environment. That probably helps dull the pain of the price tag. Right. Exactly. Totally justifies them.


Simple, yellow flats add a pop of color on these increasingly dreary days.


She is a fan of the statement earring. I, of the cheap accessory, would often walk into our former office with whatever $4.99 pair I had picked up in H&M that weekend, and she would comment that she had almost bought them too. These will most likely have a longer shelf life than any of those confections.


Now to the fun part. So I know that working at a magazine isn't as glamorous I'd like to imagine, but we're going to go off into fantasyland a bit here because fantasyland is fun and has calorie-free bacon cheeseburgers. Mmm, bacon. Okay, we're getting off track here.

This dress by BCBG, whom she loves, is perfect for attending a show for work. The collar says I'm a professional; take me seriously. The whole package says Sometimes I like to run out for dates or drinks after work.


I am a big believer in work separates for the office, and J.Crew is one of the best at making pieces that are appropriate and flirty at the same time. Two categories that this blouse fits into quite easily.


A good pair of tweed pants will last you for years. Especially in a universally flattering wide leg cut.


Classic, black pumps work anytime, anywhere. And for a shoe that you're going to wear a lot, it's better to spend more as opposed to less. Unlike the cardigan.


I like this topper for her because it moves beyond the classic single breasted/double breasted categories that most cold-weather coats fall into. Also, when I was at a wine bar on Monday, someone walked in wearing it, and it looks as awesome as I imagined.


Though this bag probably isn't the best for attending shows, the fact that it can be carried in two iterations makes it an ideal choice for the workplace. Some days you need notepads and your laptop. Others no more than your phone, wallet and keys.



In the summer of 2007, we spent a lot of time going out in Chelsea because one of our c0-workers had connections there. I mildly resented having to dress up for these adventures, even if the drinks were going to be free. I always wanted to be wearing jeans. She, however, seemed to love it. During a Fleet Week adventure earlier that year, she wore formal shorts, which I had previously thought worked on no one, but I quickly became a fan. So did the Navy guy who spent the night talking to her. But our desperation wasn't as palpable as that of the women in their late 30s in the bar, and he was quickly poached.

So for a night on the town, this miniskirt is the perfect compliment to legs for days. And the A-line cut makes sure that it doesn't stray off into Camp Trampy.


The metallic thread laced through the rosettes of this top sets off the skirt above.


Three weeks ago on a trip to Uniqlo, I was made giddy by the fall-inspired hues of their tights. I left with a gray pair and would have taken the plum if they'd been there in my size. But the many choices will allow her to pick her poison, like this wine pair. Because skirts are fun but frostbite is not.


And as a little What She Would Own if She Were a Woman of Leisure nugget, I present this dress.


Now this Jonathan Saunders dress is definitely an investment piece. And it's on sale! Of course, it's still almost $1,400...

We'll just overlook that fact for the moment.


Photos via, via, via, via, via, via, via, via, via, via, via, via

No comments: