Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Leftovers: New York Fashion Week SS10

The 80s are dead. The early 90s are here. Or, more appropriately because things are never that black and white, we're in a transitional period as we shift from one to the other. There was no rebirth of grunge, but give it a season or two. It’ll be here. There will be Kurt Cobain doppelgangers walking through the streets. I knew this point would arrive eventually, and surprisingly I don't dread it. It does, however, make me wonder how people will reference the 2000s, a decade that has primarily been spent looking back to every decade of the 20th century without ever taking the time to define itself.

There are always some trends that I can't get behind for anyone. But even with all of the awkward cutouts (seriously, a semi-circle cutout centered on the navel?) and the dresses so tight that sitting, standing and living would be difficult, I was happy to find a somewhat moody palette for next spring and summer. I've spent the better part of the last three springs and summers flouncing about in sun dresses, and though I doubt the flounce will completely disappear next year, I'm looking forward to a chance for change.

Though I focused a lot on dresses during my Favorite of the Day series for New York, I mostly wanted to pack my closet with the many easy separates for day.

At L.A.M.B.:


At Boy by Band of Outsiders:


At ADAM:


At Rag & Bone:


At Alexander Wang:


But still, the flounce.

At Chris Benz:


For evening, I like my hemlines high and any hint of shine or sparkle dark.

At Oscar de la Renta:


At Proenza Schouler:


At Doo.Ri:


But back to the trend that I'm trying to ignore. The cutouts. Usually they featured sheer material or plastic. Mostly they displayed areas of flesh women have never thought of showing off. Mainly they were frustrating. But there were some who took this tendency toward the sheer and played it correctly.

At Jason Wu:


At Calvin Klein:


At Chado Ralph Rucci:


At Narciso Rodriguez:


In the case of the accessories and shoes, I'm far less analytical in general. If I like something, then it just is that way, and there's rarely a discernible reason. And unlike many other parts of my life, I'm okay with the mystery. A mere That's pretty will suffice.

At 3.1 Phillip Lim:


At Alexander Wang:


At Donna Karan:


At Proenza Schouler:




Though I think I'm starting to figure out why I love Vera Wang's jewelry year after year.



The quiet drama.


Photos via

No comments: